The Pinellas Plant's facilities occupied approximately 70,195
square meters (755,584 square feet) under roof on 40.4 hectares
(99.9 acres). The General Electric Corporation (GE) built the
original 161,000-square-foot facility in 1956.
The Atomic Energy Commission, DOE's predecessor, bought the
facility in June 1957 and awarded a 25-year operating contract to
GE that lasted until May 31, 1992. The Pinellas Plant, as it was
named, continued to be used to engineer, develop, and manufacture
components, such as neutron generators (triggers for nuclear
weapons), to support the U.S. nuclear weapons program. DOE expanded
the Pinellas Plant mission to produce multiple electronic and
support components for other DOE programs. The expanded mission
included the design, development, and manufacture of special
electronic and mechanical nuclear weapons components, such as
neutron-generating devices, neutron detectors, and associated
product testers. Other work involved electronic, ceramic, and
high-vacuum technology. Specifically, the expanded mission included
the manufacture of thermal and long-life ambient temperature
batteries, specialized shock-absorbing foam supports,
ferroelectric- and glass-ceramic encapsulation materials, and
Radioisotopically-powered Thermoelectric Generators.
The Department of Energy (DOE) transferred much of the Pinellas production capability to the
Kansas City Plant in Missouri and the Sandia National Laboratory in New Mexico.
Contractors: Lockheed Martin Specialty Components, Inc.(1992-1997); General Electric Company (1957-1992)
Se også: Plutonium ; tritium.
Pinellas Plant - Site Description / Marquis P. Orr, Paul J.
Demopoulos, and Brian P. Gleckler.
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, 2011. - 41